Steps Homeowners Should Take When Remodeling
We’ve all heard stories of remodeling projects gone bad – nightmarish tales of mess, inconvenience, unreliable contractors, hidden pricing. Is there any question why many people fear the thought of taking on a home improvement project? Homeowners who do their homework and know exactly what their project involves can save themselves much stress, angst, and likely even some money.
NARI – The National Association of the Remodeling Industry – has proposed several steps homeowners can, and should, take in order to best prepare for all home remodeling projects.
- Determine what you want in terms of design, function, and usability. You can have beauty AND function.
- Do your research and learn all you can about your upcoming project. What work is involved in that type of project? On average, what is the cost and timeline to complete the project?
- Align your budget. Keep in mind that there could be unforeseen expenses!
- Find a professional, qualified remodeler. Get referrals, check their reputation online, look at their certifications, etc. Have a potential remodeler explain their process.
- Get a thorough quote/contract. There are a couple of very important things to keep in mind when seeking a quote: 1. Be sure to tell the remodeler how much you are willing to spend to ensure the plan fits within your budget. 2. Get everything in writing – this is for everyone’s protection. A quote should include time, materials, payment terms, project timeline, contractor responsibilities, and change order requirements.
- Select your materials and products. Don’t get blinded by glitz and glamour or you may end up overrunning your budget before the project has even begun. You’ll want to keep quality, style, function, and price in mind when selecting your products.
Thorough preparation ensures the entire project will go more smoothly for everyone involved. It will allow you to be more assured of securing the best home remodeler for your project. DC Complete is available to discuss your home remodeling needs! Give us a call today at (810) 407-1771.